Saturday, February 28, 2009

New Videos

After an epic-busy week our reading week has begun, which means we can finally stop taking caffiene intravenously. w00t!

Anyways, two videos for this post, one is the coloured version of the Pink Panther walk with a panning background, which was our Digital assignment these last two months: video
Yes, commies on the moon.

So... the next video is our 2nd Animation assignment this semester; a head rotation, expression change and lip sync using a character of our choice. I chose Cogsworth from Beauty and the Beast, mostly because he's a clock, and clocks are cool. It was technically due Tuesday, but like most people I know I only got it finished near the end of this week, cause everything was intense. But it's done! Much rejoicing:
video
Sorry if the video is a little hard to see near the end, combination of the low quality format it's converted to when it's posted here, non-ideal image capture of the original drawings and the fact that the originals aren't all in black graphite.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Character Sequence

First Character design project for this semester, we design a character (wow really?) then put it in a sequence (not animated, just the key poses) involving it entering a scene, interacting with object, encountering some difficulty involving the object, then some sort of resolution. So for mine I have created,
The Adventures of Star Platypus
Enjoy!


Come to think of it, I just realized I have expressed one of my own frustrations with this project. The door into the garage below my loft is the most tempermental door I have encountered. It seems to only open when it feels like it, and it's not even an automatic! Though the main garage door is, and has also had issues on occasion...

Day/Night Painting 3

Got this done last week, but epic amounts of work have prevented me from posting the finished digital version of the Day/Night paintings. I'll put up the real paintings in this post once I get them back.

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Day/Night Painting 2

Well the painting project is getting quite complex, but here goes:

Made a new 'rough' (gosh how I wish I could just make it rough!) for the day scene, same in concept but quite different in colour and composition. Well it has sort of the same palette, but it's brighter overall. The line-work on the ship in the foreground won't be in the actual painting, at least that's the current plan...

Just an FYI, the ship in foreground is roughly battleship sized. The ships in the background... well as you can see there's nebulas crossing in front of two of them. Nebulas with stars (those little specks of white, hopefully that was obvious enough) in them. Yes, the background ships dwarf the stars that lay between the ships and the viewer. Think I'll communicate that better by making a few larger, more noticeable stars (note to self, vary the star colours too), but they'll still just be points of light. Anyways, I like how this new composition works, even if the ships don't really look quite as big as intended, they look bigger than they did in the last rough, partially due to atmospheric perspective as well as the smaller size and positioning of the foreground ship.
I've also started the rough for the night scene, it's not even half finished, but it has the basic elements, which may or may not change. Hoping to not go nutz with detail and have a finished rough before I go to bed, then I can spend all day tomorrow painting the two of them.
For at least part of this project we're supposed to put down an underlayer of acrylic paint, the colour should be complimentary to the colour we are going to put on top of it. Because the night scene will have much stronger colour contrasts, I decided to use this technique on this one. Even though the rough isn't finished, I know it will have this composition and basic colour layout, so I've already put down the acrylic underlay, so I won't have to worry about it being dry or not later. I simulated this in photoshop, the rough you see actually has a layer of red under the green part, and green under the red. Not as important in photoshop where there is no texture to the painting surface, and colour transparency+mixing is mathematically precise, but I figured it was a good idea to simulate the technique anyways.
Lots of work ahead still, not just on this but in every other class as well. Don't turn that knob! (oh, that is almost out of context in this day and age)