Saturday, January 31, 2009

Objex

Yep, more stuff! This is actually from last semester, but we didn't get it back till this semester and since there's so many drawings (20) I hadn't bothered scanning them all in until now. This was our last assignment for Layout/Perspective class, we had to draw 20 Household objects, and were given the entire semester to do it. I started about halfway through and finished the last objects I think a day or two before the deadline. I got perfect on the assigment, which to be honest didn't surprise me because I spent a lot of time on these over all, and for other reasons I'll explain throughout this post (yeah, this is going to be a big post...)
This is my hole puncher, if it looks weird its because it is awesome. How I needed this thing last year!
This drawing is self-reflexive, in that it is a scan of an image of the device that is scanning it. Must've been weird for my scanner-printer...
Need to get a new one of these, this one likes to double click...
Alrighty, this is probably Reason B for getting perfect on this assignment, the top of these cups are as normal and boring as anything, drawing the bottom though, in proper perspective, was quite complicated as you can see.
Not sure how, this spray bottle ended up having very different proportions compared to the real one, but hey, it's a spray bottle.
This is probably Reason A for my mark here. I like to call these David-Suzuki bulbs, cause he did those commercials for these. The bulb is a double-helix. To draw a double helix in perspective (properly) you need to use the 'spiral staircase' technique, twice, clockwise and counter-clockwise and beginning from different origins at the bottom. The spiral staircase method happens to be one the most difficult perspective techniques. To add to the challenge, they fuse at the top, luckily the fusion is wonky so that part allowed for some guestimating (that word is even more fun been typed than being spoken). As you should have noticed, I left the lines I used to construct all these drawings mostly intact, so the fact that I did in truth use the spiral staircase method here is very noticeable, even though about half of the construction lines are removed from this drawing, because there were so freakin many of them...
Overall, these probably add up to about four or five days of solid work. I used the 'floor plan' method to incorperate measurements I took of these objects into the drawings, which helped immensely in getting proportions accurate, although it added considerably to the amount of time needed to draw them (as opposed to just drawing a box in proper perspective then guestimating the rest within that box). I mean they're not perfectly accurate, but I'm very happy with how close they are, the big clip, Wii-mote, toaster, kettle, mouse and stapler being closest in my humble opinion.

No comments: