Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Portfolio

This is what got me into Animation at Sheridan this year. We needed a minimum 2.97/4 score to get in, the score starts at 2.5 and goes up or down depending on the competition. This is because they only let about 100-130 people into the program each year (still not 100% sure on the number of us).
I got in with a 3.12/4 while taking the Visual & Creative Arts program at Sheridan. The previous year I got a 2.43/4 while taking Art Fundamentals...
And the year before that, during highschool I got about 4 out of 100 (the marking scheme was different, but not the standards!).
As should be evident, Art Fundies at Sheridan is an excellent program, and most highschool art programs are next to useless. They don't need to be, there's so much BASIC stuff they could just tell us that would immediately improve our art skills, but nah, we'll just run in abstract circles.
I mean I really enjoyed Grade 12 art and took it seriously, but I was NEVER told anything about line quality throughout my education before post-secondary. I mean it's SO simple. Use thicker lines away from the light source, and lighter lines near it, and don't use 'hairy' lines! There, that's all you need to get started!
Anywho (yes I use that alot), I'll only put up the stuff from my victorious portfolio (w00t) cause the other stuff is redundant or, in the case of my highschool portfolio, sacrilegiously bad.

Life Drawings





































Animal Drawings

Hand Actions

Character Rotations
Character Action Poses

Household Objects

Room, and the same room from a different view

Storyboard
(I really hope I don't have to draw this cat again, I drew him 3 years in a row)

Personal Pieces

The following piece is the only thing common to all 3 of my portfolios. Yes, I did it in highschool and could do much better now, but I still think it's a fairly good drawing, after all it did work eventually (I got 3.5/4 on my Personal pieces overall, so the judges certainly didn't hate it).
Quite a story behind this one, I'll spare most of the details and say this was for an anti-abuse poster contest, at the top of the original it says "Should love hurt this much?". In my actual porfolio I used a full size copy I had recieved (original is in a frame in London), the image was too big to fit in my scanner so what you see is cropped.
The drawing is of a friend who gave me several photos to choose from, I felt this angle worked the best.
Main issue is since this is from a photo, the light from the flash 'flattens out' the shadows. If the flash wasn't directly lined up with the lens, or if there was no flash (so you'd probably need a spotlight or sunlight to get sufficient lighting) you'd see more cast shadows and reflected light which would help define the form better.

These selections from my sketchbooks were all put on one page, so they counted as one peice:





My last personal peice was my self-portait painting that I've already put up on this blog.

No comments: